I have a 20" iMac 5,1 it’s the late 2006 model with 2.16ghz core 2 duo processor that I’ve upgraded and tweaked and fangled as much as I could to get my money’s worth out of it. Back in 2007 I bought the computer with the intention of switching all the computers in my house to apple. Since I’m cheap I opted for a refurbished iMac and waited for the plain cardboard box that it came in to arrive in the mail. Once the machine arrived it started to kernel panic over and over, I called Apple and they told me to take it to an apple store at which time they replaced the main board. A two years later I had a problem with the harddrive which started clicking and finally failed, luckily I had a Time Machine backup which saved me. Apple replaced the hard drive under my AppleCare warranty. After that I upgraded the ram in the machine to 2gb, which later found out I could upgrade to 3gb. Just a few months ago I replaced the internal hard drive with a 1TB model to store my multimedia files. As you can see this machine has quite a bit of mileage and has served me well but I’d like to squeeze a bit more life out of it. You see earlier this year we bought my wife Jen a MacBook Pro since the kids are using the Mac Mini more and more. They fill the thing with iOS apps, music and iOS backups and fighting over occupying it 90% of the time. Since we just got Jen a new Mac I want to hold off on getting myself one for a bit and see if I can use this one until the wheels fall off, so here is my plan to extend its life for another year:
- Replace one of the 1 gb sticks currently in there to a 2gb so I end up with 3gb or ram
- Purchase an optical drive bay replacement to house a SATA drive http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=842548 http://newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_27&products_id=260 [newmodeus.com/pics/cadd...](http://newmodeus.com/pics/caddy/why-newmodeus.html)
- Purchase a SSD drive to put in the optical drive slot replacing the SuperDrive. Who uses CDs and DVDs any more? http://macsales.com (any suggestions as to which one I should go with?)
- Later buy an enclosure for the SuperDrive for those times where I may end up needing one.
- Install OS X Lion on the SSD and set it to the boot drive.
What are your thoughts on this? For just under $200 I’m extending the life of this poor machine I should have “flipped” a few years ago.