How does this work?
Their firmware update docs describe this feature as:
The camera can do Burst recording in the same picture quality as 4K photo recording while automatically shifting the focus to different areas. After the recording, you can select the desired area on the screen and save a picture in which the selected area is in focus. This function is suited for recording still objects.
- Use a UHS Speed Class 3 card.
- When using [Post Focus], the angle of view is narrower.
This feature reminds me a lot of the Lytro camera they touted a while back that would allow you to set the focus after the fact, it looks like my awesome lil mirrorless can do the same thing!
I took some photos of the screen while operating this new mode, it works pretty good and allows you to see the peaking focus colors too!
You can read the PDF of the new features this update brings About the Upgrade of the DMC-GX8/recommends/panasonic-lumix-dmc-g7/recommends/panasonic-lumix-dmc-g70 Firmware v2.0 and to learn how to upgrade both the camera and the kit lens by clicking on Lumix on this horribly designs webpage: Where can I get a firmware update for my Panasonic consumer product?
Fully charge your battery, download the zip file for the camera, insert the SD card into the computer, copy the .bin file enclosed in the .zip file your downloaded, eject the SD card and insert it into the camera. Power on the camera and press PLAY
Fully charge your battery, download the zip file for the camera, insert the SD card into the computer, copy the .bin file enclosed in the .zip file your downloaded, eject the SD card and insert it into the camera. Power on the camera and press PLAY buttn then follow the prompts to install. Eject the SD card and delete the firmware file on it, download the .zip for the lens, extract the enclosed .lin file and save it to the SD card, pop the SD card into the camera and press PLAY button then follow the firmware prompts. It’s pretty simple.
So what are the limitations on this new feature? Their docs describe this too.
- You cannot take pictures with the flash. You cannot record motion pictures.
- [Picture Size] will be fixed to [4K] (8M).
- You cannot perform recording in some recording modes, such as Creative Video Mode and Panorama Shot Mode.
- A drive mode setting other than [Self Timer] will change to [Single].
- [Post Focus] is not available when a lens that does not support Auto Focus or a lens that supports the Four Thirds System standard is attached.
What photos are you going to take using this new feature?